Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Anticipating Dark Souls

Dark Souls…say it in a hushed tone and in a dramatic manner! For that’s what *I* have been doing lately, in anticipation of this successor to Demon’s Souls. Yep, the one that is one of the hardest games in the gaming market currently.


So, Dark Souls. Made harder, complex, puzzling, bewildering than Demon’s and yet considerably more beautiful too. The game mechanics are nearly identical to Demon’s Souls and it has a souped-up multiplayer component. Not that I particularly care for the latter.

I saw the gameplay vids and was impressed with the ultra sharp textures of this game. I mean, the game’s grittiness, harshness and brutality is literally dripping from the environments…it is worn out, it is brown/gray/faded green and is inviting and punishing at the same time. It is truly incomparable.

So with all this virtual hyperventilation about visual and feeling, I wonder will I be actually able to PLAY this damned thing?! Or will I just retire in frustration and tedium after trying to kill a particularly hard enemy/boss for the umpteenth time? And how on earth will I possibly kill those TWO huge belfry Gargoyle bosses?! OMG!! One of them even spits fire constantly!!! In case of Demon’s Souls, I took extensive help from Wiki and other resources, but with Dark Souls…I am in…well, Dark!

So I imagine exploring dark haunted forests, grand rustic castles, mystic cathedrals and occasional loooong pathways and winding staircases..and the bonfire in the middle of nowhere…where at last, I will be totally free from harm and danger..


And my hero looks at the flying embers as he feels the warmth of the burning flames. He has just cleared one huge section teeming with murderous demons, ghosts and other abominations, complete with scale-defying boss.. and another section lies just some distance ahead! But at *this* moment in time, he is at peace, resting, relaxing. Watching the shadows as they dance on the nearby walls…and he also feels the gusts of wind on his face and senses the movement of leaves from the nearby bushes. He closes his eyes for a while, praying to the Goddess for giving him strength and courage…for his unwavering and resolute faith is the only light in this dark and foreboding world. He opens his eyes after a pause and sees some apparitions of other warriors. They are the brave souls who are fighting the same demons and dark souls like him, but in another parallel dimension. But he can see them…running, going past the bonfire, some resting just like him, others only looking and wandering. And I, just as my hero, feel a strange connection with all those strangers, even thought I can’t see their faces or communicate with them. But we are all together, bonded through a common cause and yet we each are all so alone in our quest in these dark and desolate lands.    

Dark Souls Blu-ray Disc will be in my PS3 system sometimes next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree / disagree with my views? Please let me know. You can share your thoughts even if you don't have a registered account with Blogger..