Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mass Effect 2 Impressions

Mass Effect remains one of my favorite games, if not one of THE MOST favorites. It’s understandable that I was waiting for Mass Effect 2 with a bated breath. However, I played it dedicatedly only around 20 days back or so.

Interestingly enough, ME2’s arrival coincided with my new HD monitor purchase, but ME2 bears considerably more dark and reddish visual style compared to the first one, and that was number one enthusiasm killer. Later on, I was fixated with PS3, which resulted in me abandoning PC gaming temporarily.   

So my impressions follow:

230px-ME2Logo_Small
ME2 didn’t sweep me off my feet as much as ME1. Understandable, since hardly anything matches the magic of the first experience. Be it a first kiss, first salary or first…anything! :) As mentioned, the harsh color palette of initial sequences also contributed to my cold shouldering of the game.

Presently, I remember this game primarily for interesting and life-like companions. Miranda and her cold self-conscious tone, Jack and her super-edgy battle rants, curiosity to understand Legion and so on. Its fascinating how one gets attached to these computer generated characters and starts sharing their happiness and pain. Undoubtedly, much credit goes to the way they talk, walk and execute various actions in ultra realistic fashion. Kudos to BioWare writers for creating these characters and also to the voice actors of Jack and Miranda.

160px-Jack_Character_Shot 160px-Mirandanew 160px-Legion_Character_Shot
Jack (Subject Zero) 
Miranda
Legion

Apart from the end-game ‘suicide’ mission, I don’t remember any remarkable mission from the whole game. In fact, all I remember otherwise are stacks of metallic boxes and warehouse environments. The game is almost devoid of any “organic” feel and the game vistas consists mainly of pipes, machines, boxes, strobe lights and confined spaces. Quite bland and boring, overall. Visually, Illium was a massive let-down too.. 

After tweaking the speed of mining mini-game, I found it mildly enjoying. Speaking to the couple of NPCs such as Yeomen Chambers, Joker and one particular bartender at Eternity lounge was fun.

The game is a colossal disappointment in terms of story. Virtually nothing substantial happens throughout the game and the state of galaxy is same at the end of game as it was in the beginning. You discover and wipe out the Collector threat, that’s all this game is about.

The stripped down RPG mechanics hurt most when it comes to non-availability of equipping companions with weapons and interesting armor.

And..I guess that’s it? This game doesn’t leave a long lasting impression and is “fun” only in bits and pieces. Still, something about it is arresting enough and once you venture deep enough, you feel like playing almost non-stop. The combat is fast and fun, especially with Biotic powers, so that might be one of the reason. I have already logged 53 hours and if I choose to pursue optional side-quests, around 4 more hours might get added.

In the end, it offers an interesting backdrop for the inevitable ME3 but I don’t feel any urge to replay it immediately. In case of ME1, I started a new game right after completing it once, so that speaks for itself..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree / disagree with my views? Please let me know. You can share your thoughts even if you don't have a registered account with Blogger..