Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

My Tryst with PS3

So I own a PS3..PS3 'slim' 250 GB (with God of War III bundle).

I distinctly remember the day about two years back, when I first sighted the PlayStation®3. It was a Sony showroom and the PS3, the 'fat' one, was displayed at the center, enclosed in a glass container. I was, like most of the times, indifferent. It just wasn't in my 'league' at that point in time and if at all I wanted a console, I was sure it would be Xbox 360. The showroom also had one PS3 game on display, but that too didn't look exciting. I simply moved on..

References of PS3 kept on appearing in various gaming media here and there. Initial reports conveyed that there's a (perceived) disappointment about PS3 across the world. Sure, it was technically superior to X360, but there were hardly any impressive games to warrant its purchase. Metal Gear Solid 4 was one of the exclusives, I guess...but X360  was clearly winning with its Halos and Gears of Wars and tons of arcade games. The only clear-cut edge PS3 had over X360 was the fact that it served as the world's cheapest Blu-ray disc player, out of the box,..but was that enough?? PS3 continued to lag behind X360 long after its launch..there were iterations and modifications of the system (the 'slim' being the latest model).

But slowly, and surely, PS3 came in its terms. Game developers got the better understanding of the platform and offered PS3 exclusives games which were leagues beyond anything X360 could muster, both technically and artistically. They also offered phenomenal gameplay. Uncharted, Killzone, God of War III, inFamous, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, and some other games showed the impressive capabilities of the PS3. According to a recent report, 4 years after its launch,  Sony is now finally breaking even with PS3.

---

So..coming back to me..it sometime feels unbelievable that *I* own a PS3 system! I certainly have come a long way from that day in Sony showroom to playing a PS3 game on my HD monitor, with a wireless controller in my hand!

BUT..am I not suppose to be a hardcore *PC* gamer? isn't playing on a console considered inferior because the games are 'dumbed down'? have I not become, in PC gaming community's language, a 'consoletard'??!!

HARDLY!

Any sane person would agree that the content of the game actually matters, not the platform. True, limitations of the console are the reason why sometimes games are 'less complex' (to accommodate limited buttons of the gamepad) and suffer from compromises on level design (due to limited memory of the consoles). However, this was prevalent for the *last-generation* of consoles, namely the PS2 and Xbox. The current generation consoles are definitely better than any average gaming PC out there. One look at above mentioned games in action and your jaw is sure to drop in awe..   

Uncharted 2, for example, is the most detailed game I have ever seen in my life. Just look at the following screenies:





and they look even better in action! It's not only about the presentation tho, Uncharted 2 has won over 100 awards in various categories.

But, what actually prompted my PS3 purchase, (apart from the availability of finance, of course!)?

Two words: Heavy Rain.

Gotta soon write my impression of that! so hang on.. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree / disagree with my views? Please let me know. You can share your thoughts even if you don't have a registered account with Blogger..